Mulled Sparkling Pear Cocktail
The days of summer, Spritzers and chilled Rosé are now long forgotten. Christmas countdown feels like it’s snowballing to the 25th. Turkey order in and your menu all planned. Now get ready to impress your guests and your taste buds with this little tipple with a difference. It can be made in larger quantities, which is great for entertaining family and friends.
Mulled Sparkling Pear Cocktail – A sparkling pear cider, with a mulled brandy syrup and garnished with a brûlée pear slice. It’s super easy to make in no time at all and part of it can be prepared in advance too. I would suggest using a dry pear cider, not to sweet. Here, I’ve used Waitrose & Partners’ own brand Pear Cider.
Dependant on glassware used and whether serving over crushed ice.
90ml Brandy or Cognac
½ Cup Water
¾ Cup of Caster Sugar
2 Cinnamon Sticks
6 Whole Cloves
1 tsp Grated Nutmeg
500ml Pear Cider
- Slice pear into 5-10mm thick slices, length ways.
- Coat each slice (on one side only) with caster sugar. You could use brown or Demerara sugar instead.
- Heat a pan. Brown and slightly burn one side of each pear slice or use a brûlée torch. Be careful not to overcook them, as they will turn to mush.
- Remove from the pan, set aside and leave to cool.
- In the same pan add water and remaining castor sugar. Next add brandy and spices.
- Leave to simmer until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture has slightly thickened to a syrupy consistency.
- Strain spices.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- You can make this ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to a week. Add to the cider when you’re ready to entertain.
- I tend to pour the syrup, along with the cider into a jug or decanter, ready for serving. If pouring straight into glassware, the ratio will be 1:3 – Syrup to Cider. You can adjust this to your taste.
Serve in a Champagne flute or coupe and garnish with a brûlée pear slice.
It makes a change from the customary fizz or mulled wine options, flowing at this time of year. Surprise your guests and let us know how it goes. Tag your cocktail pictures on Instagram with @SevenoaksMums and @ForCocktailSake and we can say cheers. Or follow @ForCocktailSake for more festive season concoctions.
FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram @ForCocktailSake