Delicious autumnal recipe courtesy of The Health Boost…
With autumn (fall) upon us as I write, there’s an urge for more comfort foods. This apple bread is perfect for using up all the apples around at this time. It is gluten free and contains no added sugar apart from what the apples contain. Delicious served with a berry fruit compote and a dollop of nut butter.
makes 1 loaf (12 slices)
6 apples grated
3 large eggs
250g oatmeal (oat flour)
50g butter (melted)
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
Pinch of sea salt
Optional extras for topping
Chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
A sprinkle of coconut nectar
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper. I used a loaf tin measuring 24cm x 14cm.
- In a large mixing bowl add the grated apple, baking powder, eggs, salt, melted butter, cinnamon and vanilla and mix well to combine.
- Now add the oat flour and fold in/mix lightly. It doesn’t have to be perfectly combined. It will give more texture to the finished article.
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf tin.
- If you chose to add a topping, now is the time.
- I added sliced apple, sprinkled with cinnamon powder and coconut palm sugar.
- Slide and bake in the oven for between 30 and 45 minutes until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly before slicing and enjoying warm.
THE HEALTH BOOST TIP
For those who love a good homemade banana bread, this apple and cinnamon version will give you a great alternative. Only sweetened by the grated apple it is a welcome healthy treat on a cosy Sunday afternoon or for a quick breakfast the go with a little nut butter for protein!