From Mrs Rachel Brady
I made this stew in my beloved Instant Pot pressure cooker. I develop recipes for them and at the mo’ we are on slow cooker ones. Perfect timing, as these nights draw in and the mornings get misty it is just the type of thing I want to cook. I don’t share many of my recipe developments but this one was too good not to.
Of course – you can make this is normal slow cooker. Or, double of course – you can make it in a trad ol’ casserole pan. Nothing wrong with that, in fact there is everything right. The root vegetables are cut into small-ish dice so they kind of melt, which increases the chance of kids eating them, right? RIGHT?! Well, it worked with my daughter. My son? No comment!
Anyhoo. It is SO delicious. And the braised red cabbage (which also can be done the slow cooker, maybe the day before?) is to die for. Normally I save this method of cooking red cabbage for Christmas but it is great with dishes like this, or pies, or game. I have a load of Bramleys at the moment from a friend so it gives me an excuse to use them up. Also – get this – my SON likes cabbage this way! Fanfare!
Salt and pepper
1 red cabbage, shredded (not too thin)
1 large or 2 small Bramley apples, peeled and sliced
1 onion, peeled and sliced
Sprinkle of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Splash of apple juice (about a small wine glass full)
Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a pan. Brown your meat. Remove and set aside.
- Add a little more oil and the onion and garlic to soften for a few minutes. Now the rest of the vegetables.
- Back in with the meat. Now the stock, herbs and tomato puree. Bring to boil.
- Tip into a slow cooker. Set to Low and cook for 7 hours. If you want it quicker, then about 4 hours on Medium.
- For the red cabbage, preheat oven to about 140C. Mix sliced cabbage, onions and apple. Sprinkle in sugar, cinnamon and garlic along with apple juice. Give it another mix. Bake for about 2 hours 30 minutes. If using a slow cooker then choose Low and cook for 7 hours. If you want it quicker, again, then about 4 hours on Medium.